3/366: Resolution and photography apps

In typical Sue fashion I’ve continued to ponder and research the impact of photography apps on image quality.

Probably an aspect that most don’t spend time agonizing about? But it feels logical to me to learn more about it if one day I decide to print some of the images.

So what have I learnt?

• Resolution is the key to image clarity.
  • Photography apps vary considerably in terms of the resolution they use to save images.
  • There are many photography apps that only save images at low resolutions. While other apps give you a choice of which resolution you want to use when saving to camera roll
  • Avoid apps that only save low resolution images
  • Always work with the maximium resolution setting to ensure best clarity.
  • Always adjust your resolution setting when you install a new photography app to the maximum resolution before you start using it — better to do this from the start then to suddenly discover you’ve been saving at the lowest resolution.
  • Look for the i, gear icon or words like Settings, options inside the app to check and adjust the resolution.
  • One of the reasons why apps process images at lower resolution is it is less taxing on the iPhone’s software and hardware. Lower resolutions allows it to process faster while it’s less likely to crash the app.

So now the question is which of my image editing apps outputs images with the highest resolution? Well? It’s a bit challenging to fully road test as much as I’d like 🙁 Traveling overseas with just my iPad makes it more time consuming to do a more comprehensive comparison.

But my initial testing indicates that Photogene and Abode Photoshop Express save at lower resolution than some of my newer apps. Makes sense, to me, that there has been big improvements in functionality of these apps with time.

Based on my research it looks like of the apps I already have Photogene2 is the best option. It’s a brand new app and not an update of the original Photogene.

Besides having a wide range of image editing options, it allows you to export images at high resolution and fully supports the native 8 MP native resolution of the iPhone 4s.

Today’s task was to take a photo I normally couldn’t use and use Photogene2 to transform it by making adjustments to exposure, saturation, highlights, etc.

Here’s the original image:

Original image

The photo was taken at Singapore Night Safari where you weren’t allowed to use flash.

Here’s the image after editing with Photogene2:
3/366: Resolution and photography apps

Here’s where you’ll find adjustments in Photogene2.

Photogene2 adjustment options

The other important thing I learnt from this activity was iPhone vs iPad photography apps. I do most my editing on my iPad — for ease and old eyes. Photogene2 is an iPhone app and I nearly over looked it due to tendency to use iPad specific apps (bad idea).